About Me

My photo
User of little pieces -- of time, fabric, food, land, even trash. I am fascinated with the mighty power of the Small and Bypassed to transform into usefulness and beauty. As a mother of seven, living for decades on one income, I have practice using up Every Little Bit of Every Little Thing. My treasures have grown now and I have the joy of teaching preschool. I find this gift for making practical use of the Small and Bypassed, PLUS the gift of time to create, has channeled into simple, artistic expressions of small things.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Grand glittering pinecones!

Glitter for the girls . . . glitter for the boys

My favorite pants are corduroys . . .

I don't love glitter messiness, and neither does Miss Warna Solari, my co-teacher in preschool, but these darling grands helped me test out glitter cones for a preschool Christmas craft, and I do love the results. Terah Gregg came up with a less-mess method, so it's a go.

The cones were free, which is my favorite dollar amount, and my glitter is a garage sale or thrift store purchase at $1.50 for several little containers (Too long ago to remember where I got it! It could have been last month and that would be too long ago . . . )

We will need more glitter for preschool, and will purchase what we need, but seriously, if you have some sitting around you aren't going to use, send it my way, if you are so inclined.  I will give you the preschool address!

I love to use up materials that are gathering dust more than I love to buy new things. I think second-hand purchases count for the using up. 

It's not just thriftiness, though that's part of the "love". Raising seven on one lower income bolstered frugality fo' sho'! It's more the challenge of Not Wasting Things; Making Do With What You Have that I love.


Back to the cones.  While the waxed paper did a good job of catching excess sprinkled glitter for reuse and mess control, Terah's idea is better.  We need containers small enough to not use tons of glitter, and large enough to roll the glue tipped pine cones in.  And I've heard from friends that putting the glitter in a zip-lock type bag and shaking it up is fairly safe in terms of keeping glitter contained.

We used Tacky Glue, but school glue is fine.  I watered down the Tacky glue just a tiny bit -- a few drops of water to a couple tsp. glue stirred together in a small bowl.  We took the cones in hand and painted glue mostly just down the tips of the cones, and after sprinkling glitter on the cones (or rolling the cones in the tubs of glitter) laid them to dry on waxed paper.

Finis!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding value in the Bypassed and the Small . . .